STATE OF THE
readers on the state
of each of his projects.
Ebook Sales, B-Fest Schedule + Updates
The Way of Kings ebook is on sale for just $2.99 (this may be US-only, but you can check your region’s pricing using the links to the right). This sale ends on May 30th, so don’t delay! Also on May 30th, the Elantris ebook goes on sale for $2.99 until June 7th, and then from June 6th to June 16th The Rithmatist will be only $1.99. And remember, Mitosis is still on sale for 99¢ until the end of May, and my Hugo Award-nominated novella Perfect State is also still at 99¢, worldwide!
For my readers in Utah, I will be at the Orem Barnes & Noble on June 11th for the first ever B-Fest, a national teen book festival that will take place in Barnes & Noble stores all over the country June 10th–12th. Hundreds of authors of teen books will be making appearances around the country, so check here to see what’s happening at your local Barnes & Noble. My event in Orem starts at 4:00 p.m., but you can get wristbands as early as 9:00 a.m. to save your place in line. You can see my full schedule on the Upcoming Events page.
In this week’s new Writing Excuses episode, Q&A on Elemental Horror, Steve Diamond joins us for our third and final Elemental Horror episode as we field your questions about this particular building block. Here are the questions we selected from your submissions:
- If I want to make peanut butter terrifying without being silly, how do I do that?
- What is your personal line between horror and “gore-nography?”
- How do you avoid going too far with graphic elements?
- Soundtracks are huge for horror movies. How do you set the mood without this tool?
- What’s the best way for a thriller writer to edge into writing horror?
- How do you decide when to show the monster, and how does it change the story when that happens?
Last week, in Tor.com’s continuing reread posts for Words of Radiance, the four highprinces agreed to push on toward the center of the Shattered Plains, while Kaladin had an uncomfortable conversation with Elhokar. This week, in Chapter 81, Shallan’s map is completed and battle is joined, while Kaladin is again uncomfortable.
My assistant Adam has updated the Twitter post archive for May.