UK tour continues + Updates
My tour for the release of Shadows of Self continues this week in the UK. As always, if you would like me to send you an email when I’ll be appearing near you, tell me your metro area here.
- Tuesday, Oct 20: Sheffield & Newcastle
- Wednesday, Oct 21: Edinburgh
- Thursday, Oct 22: Leeds & Nottingham
- Friday–Sunday, Oct 23–25: FantasyCon in Nottingham
Details on my events page.
It’s been a busy few weeks and we haven’t kept you up to date on the new Writing Excuses episodes. Here are last few, in case you missed them:
- What’s the Difference Between Ending and Stopping? Nalo Hopkinson joins us for this episode, which we recorded before a live audience of Out of Excuses Workshop & Retreat attendees. October’s master class episodes focus on endings, and in this first installment we talk about what an ending really is. It’s obviously the last part of the book, but the gestalt of “ending” is so much more than just “The End,” and it’s important that we understand all that before committing ourselves to being done writing it.
- Your Character’s Moral Pendulum: Brad Beaulieu and Jaym Gates join us from the GenCon Indy Writing Symposium to talk about good versus evil, and how your character might swing between the two. And it’s all about that swing. Moral grey areas are more interesting if we move through them. We talk about how we swing the pendulum, what difficulties we encounter, and what sorts of things we want to have happen to our reader when it moves.
- How In The World Do I Tie All This Together? We are joined again by Nalo Hopkinson, at sea, for our second Master Class installment on endings. We cover some of the reasons why an ending might not be working, and then talk about the sorts of diagnoses that will help you solve the problem. You’ll likely need to dig deep in your toolbox. Our episodes covering the MICE quotient, promises made to the readers, and the Hollywood formula may be worth reviewing in this process.
Last week, in Tor.com’s continuing reread posts for Words of Radiance, everyone threw temper tantrums and Kaladin landed in prison. This week, in Interlude 9, we jaunt across the continent to Azir’s capital, where we’ll meet with an unexpected style of proto-Radiant.