In this week’s new Writing Excuses episode, Q&A on Viewpoint, Brandon, Piper, Dan, and Howard answer your questions about viewpoint. Here they are!
- Do you have tips and tricks for making 3rd-person omniscient compelling?
- How do you make 3rd-person limited compelling?
- Is it normal to need several drafts to nail down a character’s voice?
- What’s the best way to portray an unreliable 3rd-person limited narrator?
- What are your most effective methods for immersing yourself in character attributes so that you can get the voice right?
- How do you choose between 1st and 3rd person?
- How do you select the viewpoint character for a scene?
- How do you smoothly transition between viewpoints?
- How do you prevent character voices from blending into each other and becoming indistinguishable?
Last week, in Tor.com’s continuing reread posts for Warbreaker, Siri had everyone blushing with her new bedtime routine, while Lightsong tried unsuccessfully to call in sick. This week, in chapter nineteen, Vivenna’s prejudices are on full display, even as her inexperience sets her up for further manipulation.
Brandon recently did an interview with Bulgarian fantasy outlet Shadowdance. You can read the interview in English or Bulgarian here:
You can see the February Twitter post archive here.