STATE OF THE
readers on the state
of each of his projects.
Writing Excuses Q&A on Pacing + Updates
The previous Writing Excuses episode on pacing covered the sense of progress. In this week’s episode, Q & A on Pacing, we wrap up this month’s discussion of pacing. Here are the questions we received from Twitter for answering during the episode:
- What are some early indications of a pacing problem?
- How do you chart pacing so that it remains even?
- Can you control pacing using scene/sequel format?
- How do you handle character progression during travel without making it choppy?
- It feels like new authors are required to deliver breakneck pacing. Is this true?
Last week, in Tor.com’s continuing reread posts for Words of Radiance, Adolin is repeatedly disturbed by people and events which are beyond his power to affect; it’s a rough evening for our boy. This week, in Chapter 49, he takes over another of Dalinar’s roles as he goes out to meet with Eshonai about the Parshendi proposal.
My assistant Adam has updated the Twitter post archive for August.